Saturday, April 28, 2012

Everything Can Happen

I do not own this image.

I do not know anything about the economy. Never have I felt need. To be perfectly honest, I have no idea what this person is feeling inside. So how can I really understand how I feel inside?

There is no happy without sad.
There is no ecstasy without pain.
There is no light without dark.

There is no wealth without poverty. This lethargy, this constant complaining of mine, has no perspective to it. My complaints are born by my utter incompetence of what a person should really complain about.

I have food, water, entertainment and love. Those days when I spend the night at a friends house, and end up sleeping on the floor are the only times that I don't have a warm bed to sleep in. I can't imagine spending every night on concrete.

I'm grateful, I'm very grateful.

Oh, and as for the poster behind him: that is unfortunate. Obviously "everything can happen" in America, because we have people complaining about their broken black berries just a few blocks away from someone who could catch pneumonia if the night gets too cold.

The sad thing about the bag is the reality that we will buy into a culture that has fucked us completely. In that situation- somehow left without a home and living on the streets- I can imagine that I'd still go to the 7-11 to get coffee, or buy toothpaste from Wall-greens. Supplying the small change I'd get to the economy that screwed me over. Humiliating- it's like saying 'thank you' after someone slaps you across the face.

And its not like I'm trying to convey that America is the only place with poverty. GOD, no. Poverty and those who are less fortunate are a part of existence.. survival of the fittest I guess. It is just particularly disgusting in America- because people who sell drugs to supply their own habit, people who prostitute themselves to survive, people who beg for change to save up for a sleeping bag- are selling drugs to upper middle class teenagers who will smoke it and eat takeout until they puke while playing X-Box, are selling their bodies to business men who want to get a little action while their wife is at their Pilates class or sleeping soundly in their a-zillion-count thread Egyptian sheets, and begging for change from some hipster who just bought a double-espresso-shot-caramel-mocha-machiato  at starbux and got $0.42 back from a $10 bill.

Ah.. America- everything can happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment